Having a slow computer is one of the most frustrating thing in this world for the majority of mankind (I know I’m exaggerating a bit ). Many people tend to overcome this hassle by implementing the useless so called “speed tweaks” on their operating system, like the ones mentioned HERE until they eventually realize that they only gained minor benefits or none at all, and the overall speed of the system is still unbearable.
Once you reach this point of despair you need to think of changing a part of your computer hardware that is considered the major cause of this slowness, which is the hard disk drive (HDD), as it bears the prime responsibility for this “suffering” supposing your CPU is powerful enough and you have sufficient RAM space.
Here in this article you will learn about the best and fastest hard disk drives (HDD) that can noticeably increase the speed of your computer, without neglecting the fact that even if you possess the fastest platter-based hard drive in the world, it cannot stand in front of the speed giant: Solid-State Drive (SSD)
Anyway here we go with our list:
Best 3.5-inch Hard Drive For Desktop Computers
Based On Speed & Performance:
WD VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM 3.5-Inch SATA Hard DriveReleased in April 2012]: “If you need a high-capacity drive that offers significantly higher sequential throughput than competing desktop disks, but either don’t need or can’t justify the cost per gigabyte of an SSD, consider the WD1000DHTZ as an interesting compromise. Or, if you have more to spend, think about the relationship between an SSD and the VelociRaptor in the same machine.” Tom’s HArdware
Average Users’ Ratings: (4.5/5)
- The 2.5″ Velociraptor Drive is enclosed in a IcePack mounting frame that will fit a standard 3.5″ drive chassis
- High spindle speed of 10 000 RPM
- Low random seek time of 6.8 ms (for reads)
- Seek time for writes: 8.8 ms
- Interface Type SATA 6.0 Gb/s (SATA 3)
- OSes supported: Windows, Mac, Linux
- Five year warranty
|Model #||Capacity||Price||Where To Buy|
|WD1000DHTZ||1 TB||$219.99||Buy On Amazon.com|
|WD5000HHTZ||500 GB||$143.27||Buy On Amazon.com|
|WD2500HHTZ||250 GB||$98.20||Buy On Amazon.com|
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard DriveReleased in June 2012]: WD Blue drives are designed and manufactured with the proven technology found in WD’s original award-winning desktop hard drives.
Average Users’ Ratings: (4.5/5)
- WD Blue hard drives have a multitude of features including third generation SATA interface with 6 GB/s transfer rate, plus rock solid performance and ultra-cool and quiet operation.
- WhisperDrive technology minimizes noise to levels near the threshold of human hearing.
- SoftSeek technology streamlines read/write seeking algorithms, resulting in more efficient operation.
- 1 TB capacity holds up to 200,000 digital photos, 250,000 MP3 files, and 120 hours of HD video.
- 2 year limited warranty.
Based On Capacity
Seagate Desktop HDD 4 TB SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST4000DM000Released in February 2013]: The Seagate Desktop HDD is the one hard drive for all your desktop applications. One drive for every need, supported by 30 years of trusted performance, reliability and simplicity.
The 4TB model is the newest release of this series and it was released in February 2013. According to Tom’s Hardware the 3TB version of this drive is the fastest high-capacity hard disk drive available (See the chart below):
Average Users’ Ratings: (4.0/5)
- 4TB storage capacity with SATA 6Gb/s NCQ Interface
- Double your capacity and drive down costs with up to 1TB-per-disk hard drive technology
- Seagate AcuTrac servo technology delivers dependable performance, even with hard drive track widths of only 75 nanometers
- Free Seagate DiskWizard software allows you to install 3TB and 4TB hard drives in Windows, including XP, without UEFI BIOS